Youth and Young Adults Programs
The Youth Ministry of Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi is committed to love, nurture, inspire, and equip our youth to be faithful, lifelong disciples of Jesus Christ who reach out to the community and beyond. Our youth ministry deliberately guides young people into Christian discipleship by:
- Provide them with a space where they are welcomed, heard and accepted into a spiritual family that will not judge them.
- Encourage them to use their individual talents in programs and ministries that interest them in order to nurture their growth as people of faith while providing volunteer service to the community.
- And prepare them to impact their world for Christ
Our Confirmation program brings teens and adults together to study and explore how growth in the Spirit is a life-long journey. Together participants share in their journey and commit to share in the mission of Jesus - to know and worship God AND to love their neighbor. The Sacrament is received by the choice of the teen. He or she must assume ownership of the promises which were made on their behalf at Baptism.
Formal Orientation: Wednesdays, September 17th or 24th at 7:00pm Classes begin on Wednesday, October 1, through May24, 2015
You must be a high school Freshman, Sophomore, Junior or Senior (or an equivalent level if home schooled).
Religious Education Requirements
You must have one (1) year of high school level religious education, or may be concurrently enrolled in a high school religious education or attends St. Michael’s High School and be faith ready for a commitment for life.
• Register and provide $50.00 registration fee.
• Provide a copy of baptismal certificate by November 19, 2014, if baptized in another parish.
• Select a sponsor and sponsor must provide permission slip from their home parish by November 19, 2014. CBSFA sponsors need to call Liz Gallegos at the parish office to get approved. 955-8864
• Select a Christian saint name and provide a one page report on their saint by December 17, 2014.
Service Hours Requirements
You must complete the following before you can receive the Sacrament of Confirmation:
• 10 hours of community/civic service (Soup kitchen, shelters, etc.).
• 10 hours of church service (helping to decorate, Pancake Breakfast, Santo Nino Fiesta, etc.).
• 10 Life Teen sessions of peer ministry, every Sunday after the 12:00 Mass
A combination of 15 hours due January 14, 2015, remainder by April 15, 2015.
Attendance Requirements- Mandatory
• Attend one (1) Orientation/Registration with parents September 17th or September 24th.
• Sign and abide by Code of Conduct document.
• Attend scheduled interview with the Director of Youth Ministry.
• Attend all Wednesday sessions at 7:00pm to 8:30pm.
• Attend all make up class if needed.
• Attend all Sunday Life Teen Masses at 12:00.
• Attend the Presentation Mass at 10:00am on Febuary 15, 2015
• Attend (2) reconciliation services (Advent and Lent).
• Attend (2) retreats; November 15, 2014 , April 10-12, 2015 Weekend retreat.
• Attend all mimes rehearsals for the Good Friday Liturgy.
• Participate in the Good Friday Liturgy April 3, 2015.
• Attend the Novena of the Holy Spirit.
• Attend Confirmation Rehearsal on May 21, 2015 @ 6:00pm.
• Attend Confirmation Mass May 24, 2015, 12:00.
Role and requirements of a Sponsor
At the request of Archbishop Michael Sheehan, a candidate can select only one (1) sponsor (no exceptions). The role of a confirmation sponsor is not a special token of family relationship or friendship. Your sponsor must be an active, baptized, and confirmed Catholic whom you see regularly; someone who will be with you to share faith experiences during your time of preparation for confirmation, as well as after confirmation.
Your Sponsor should be someone who understands you; someone with whom you can talk to easily, confide in, share your faith with, and who will encourage and support you before and after confirmation.
It is important to select your sponsor as soon as possible so that he/she may be with you, guide you, and participate with you in your preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation, the sign of your initiation into the full life and membership of the Church. It is the responsibility of your sponsor to show you, in a friendly way, the place of the gospel in his/her own life, to help in doubts and anxieties, to give public testimony for the candidate, and to watch over the progress of the confirmed life.
Your SPONSOR must fulfill the following criteria:
1. Be a person of faith and a baptized and confirmed Catholic.
2. Cannot be one of your parents.
3. Be a registered and active member of their parish faith community and provide proof (signed permission letter from their pastor) by November 19, 2014. Sponsors who are members of the Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi must call Liz Gallegos (955-8864) to get permission.
4. If married, the sponsor must have been married in the Roman Catholic Church.
5. Make the journey of faith with you and establish a life-long relationship.
6. Be at least 21 years old; however, if circumstances warrant it, the pastor may permit a person 16 years or older to serve as sponsor.
7. Participate in at least 15 hours of community/church service with you.
8. Attend all sessions indicated for sponsors and keep track of your community/church service hours.
9. Meet periodically with you to share faith and discuss issues or problems.
10. Attend the Presentation Ceremony with you at the 10:00 AM Mass on February 15, 2015.
11. Pay $75.00 for the weekend retreat, covers for room and meals. If this is burden for your sponsor, contact the Director of Youth Ministry or the pastor.
12. Attend the Confirmation Mass rehearsal on May 21, 2015, and attend the Confirmation Mass on May 24, 2015, at 12:00.
LIFE TEEN SESSION
We invite all high school students to take advantage of this opportunity to build your community - where you can learn more about your Catholic faith, share in the mission of Jesus, support one another, and have loads of fun, weekly LIFE TEEN Mass, teens will experience the depths of God’s love through the Word, the teen community, and the Eucharist. Following the Mass, our youth minister and core members lead the teens deeper into their Catholic faith experience.
Fall sessions begin September 28, 2015. Every Sunday- Teen Mass at 12:00 followed by Life teen sessions 1:30-3:00pm.
Registration is on-going. Contact Liz Gallegos at 955-8864 or email@example.com
Teens grow as a faith community, deepening their understanding of what it means to be young and Catholic in the world today.
MIDDLE SCHOOL SESSION
The Junior High Youth Program is a religious education for students in grades 6th, 7th, & 8th. The program will cover different topics based on our Roman Catholic Faith.
•Social Issues: Bullying, Peer Pressures, Theology of the Body
•Justice and Service
•Movies, Games, and Food!!!!!!!!
The Youth group is a great way to get to know yourself, God, and others better.
Fall sessions begin October 12th. Every Sunday – Teen Mass at 12:00 followed by Middle school faith formation Classes 1:30-3:30pm. Registration is on-going. To register or have any questions, contact Liz Gallegos at 955-8864 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration Fee: $20.00