Liturgy and Music
Gabriel Gabaldón, Director
Xavier J. Gonzáles, Director
Ministry of Holy Communion
Extraordinary Ministersof Holy Communion serve “the one Bread” and “the cup of blessing” to our parish family. Their service at the Lord's table grows out of reverence of the sacrament and the people they serve.
Ministry of the Home-bound
Deacons and other lay ministers take Holy Communion to the Home-bound.
Ministry of the Altar
Servers assist the presiders at our weekend Masses. Boys and girls, Grade 4 and up, begin serving at Mass after they have received their First Eucharist. This experience gives our young people a way to become fully involved in the action of the liturgy.
Ministry of the Word
Readers serve our parish in the proclamation of the Scriptures during Sunday and weekday liturgies. It is the telling of the story of salvation and being the messengers of God’s love for us. This happens through the study of scripture and their own personal prayer. Training is provided.
Ministry of Hospitality
Ministers of Hospitality welcome us to each Mass and help us move through the liturgy. Their ability to greet people as they assemble for prayer is a strong witness to all who come.
Ministry of the Adult Server
The server is instituted to serve at the altar and to assist the priest and deacon. In particular, it is his/her responsibility to prepare the altar and the sacred vessels and, if it is necessary, as an extraordinary minister, to distribute the Eucharist to the faithful.
Ministry of Music
The music ministry at the Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi is rooted in the traditions of the Roman Catholic Church and dedicated to excellence in the selection, preparation, and ministry of sacred music.
As ministers of liturgical music we strive to:
- Foster full, conscious, and active participation of the People of God through a variety of musical styles drawn from the great treasury of our Catholic Church.
- Draw all present at the Liturgy into the sung proclamation of the Word of God.
- Inspire the prayer of the gathered assembly by sharing our time and musical talents.
The Cathedral Basilica music ministry consists of a variety of choir members, cantors, instrumentalists and accompanists:
The Children's Choir ministers at the Saturday 5:15 pm Anticipatory Mass during the school year. (Sep-May)
The Coro Hispano ministers at the Sunday 8:00 am Spanish Mass
- The SATB English Choir ministers at the Sunday 10:00 am English Mass.
- The Contemporary Choir & Ensemble minister at the Sunday 12:00 pm LifeTeen Mass
- Cantors are rotated to minister at the Saturday 5:15 pm Mass (during summer) & at the Sunday 5:15pm Mass.
The music ministry welcomes singers of ALL levels and instrumentalists who wish to share their time and talent with our vital community here at the Cathedral Basilica. Come join the fun and meet new people!
For more information contact: